by Kate Gudorf
Are you confused at the supermarket?
Do you feel overwhelmed by the variety of food choices?
Do you know how to select the healthiest foods?
And do you understand those complicated food labels?
If you're confused, Newtown Nutrition dietitian Kate Gudorf can help. We are pleased to offer supermarket tours designed to help you become a more informed shopper. Kate will show you how to navigate the supermarket aisles and choose the best foods.
This tour will benefit anyone interested in learning more about general health and nutrition, interested in eating well to prevent or manage a chronic health condition or for those interested in learning more about making healthy food choices at the supermarket.
The tour will run for approximately one and a half hours and will cover a variety of topics, such as:
- Comparing similar foods side-by-side
- Selecting the healthiest foods using the nutrition information panel
- Navigating the supermarket and supermarket design
- Selecting produce
- Seasonal produce
- A guide to the symbols and ticks used on food labels
- A guide to labelling terminology, like 'low fat', 'high fibre' and 'low sodium'
- Use by date vs best before date
- How to determine the best value at the supermarket
- Avoiding impulse purchases
- Storage and safe handling of your groceries
The tour will be held on the first Monday of each month at 12:00pm at FoodWorks Newtown, 336 King Street, right near the railway station.
For more information or to register for the supermarket tour, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
We invite you to come along on our tour. Happy shopping!